Clinical Class in progress
The Department of Respiratory Medicine at Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences is committed to the progress in the field of Respiratory medicine, teaching the next generation of doctors and improvement of respiratory health in our neighborhood and India.
We cater to the patients who are mainly hailing from in and around the southern districts of Karnataka.
The department was established in 2013, and PG courses were started in 2017, with 2 NMC recognized MD seats per year.
Under the dynamic leadership of our head of the department Dr Huliraj N, we are running a state of the art pulmonary medicine specialty center.
With the help of our young and energetic staff Dr Raghavendra MK and Dr Deepak Kumar, we are running one of the best PG residency programs in India, with regular PG and UG teaching programme, which are conducted five days a week.
Our postgraduates are active in presenting research papers and posters in national conferences and have won various prizes for the same in NAPCON 2020. They are also active in monthly Bangalore Chest meet where interesting cases and diagnostic dilemmas are discussed. We are actively involved in conducting monthly meets on recent respiratory updates and advances.
This is a complicating and challenging time for the people of India and the world, with emergence of COVID 19 global pandemic. It has brought the hard work and sacrifice done by our doctors in the backdrop of poor medical infrastructure to light. We as pulmonologists have been in the forefront of the fight against this deadly pandemic. We have treated both COVID cases and SARI cases with well manned 12 bedded SARI ICU.
We have an excellent Pulmonary function test lab, which not only includes basic tests like spirometry and DLCO , but newer cutting edge technologies like Forced oscillation technique and FeNO. We also have a well-functioning bronchoscopy suite and sleep lab which has helped thousands of patients over the years in diagnosis and treatment of various respiratory ailments. In the soon future we will be acquiring a video thoracoscopy suite also.
We are especially proud of the comprehensive care provided to the patients in form of outpatient care, 30 bedded Inpatient care and ICU care, with one the best Respiratory ICUs in the district which are well equipped with ventilators, round the clock trained nurses and doctors. The doctors and post graduates are well trained in procedures like pleural tapping, inter coastal drainage insertion, lung biopsy, pleural biopsy, central venous catheter insertion, endotracheal intubation and bronchoscopy. We regularly collaborate with the other departments like cardiology and internal medicine in providing the optimal treatment to the patients.
We have the privilege of an allergy clinic, run by Preventive medicine department, where mantoux test, skin prick test, patch test, immunotherapy, autologous serum skin test, autologous serum therapy and autologous haem therapy facilities are available.
We even have our own NTEP (National Tuberculosis control programme) medical officer and lab technician, where regular screening, diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis is done free of cost with a goal of elimination of TB by 2025. And we are well equipped with a 4 bedded MDR Tb ward.
|1||Dr. Huliraj Narayanaswamy||Prof & HOD||
|2||Dr. Raghavendra M K||Associate Professor||
|3||Dr. Deepak Kumar R||Assistant Professor||
Dr Huliraj N
- Parasuramalu BG, Huliraj N, Rudraprasad BM, Prashanth Kumar SP; Gangaboraiah, Ramesh Masthi NR. Prevalence of bronchial asthma and its association with smoking habits among adult population in rural area. Indian J Public Health. 2010;54(3):165-168. doi:10.4103/0019-557X.75742
- Aeroallergen sensitivity among patients suffering from Bronchial Asthma in Bangalore - Giriyanna Gowda, Chitra Nagaraj, BG Parasuramalu, N Huliraj- International Journal of Health & Allied Sciences. Vol 2/ Issue 4/ Oct-Dec 2013
- Parasuramalu BG, Huliraj N, Prashanth Kumar SP; Gangaboraiah, Ramesh Masthi NR, SrinivasaBabu CR. Prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and its association with tobacco smoking and environmental tobacco smoke exposure among rural population. Indian J Public Health. 2014 Jan-Mar; 58(1):45-9. doi: 10.4103/0019-557X.128166. PMID: 24748357.
- Archana, B., Huliraj, N., Patil, J. S., & Ramesh, M. (2014). Socio demographic profile and risk behavior pattern in HIV positive population attending the integrated counseling and testing centre of a medical college hospital, Bengaluru. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences, 3(42), 10580-10587.
- Gowda G, Vijayeendra AM, Sarkar N, Shivalingaiah AH, Shah A, Ashwathnarayana AG, Narayanaswamy H, Nagaraj C. A study on occupational asthma among workers of silk filatures in South India. Indian J Occup Environ Med. 2014 May;18(2):64-7. doi: 10.4103/0019-5278.146893. PMID: 25568600; PMCID: PMC4280779.
- Parasuramulu et al.Randomized, open label, active controlled study to asses and compare health related quality of life with mometasone and formeterol versus fluticasone and formeterol dry powder inhaler in mild to moderate persistent asthma. Asian J Pharm Clin Res Vol 8, Issue 4, 2015, 296-298
- Baburao A, Narayanswamy H. Clinico-Pathological Profile and Haematological Abnormalities Associated with Lung Cancer in Bangalore, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015;16(18):8235-8. doi: 10.7314/apjcp.2015.16.18.8235. PMID: 26745066.
- Palaniappan, R., Sundaraj, K., Sundaraj, S., Huliraj, N., &Revadi, S. S. (2015). A telemedicine tool to detect pulmonary pathology using computerized pulmonary acoustic signal analysis. Applied Soft Computing, 37, 952-959
- Palaniappan R, Sundaraj K, Sundaraj S, Huliraj N, Revadi SS. A novel approach to detect respiratory phases from pulmonary acoustic signals using normalised power spectral density and fuzzy inference system. ClinRespir J. 2016 Jul;10(4):486-94. doi: 10.1111/crj.12250. Epub 2015 Jan 15. PMID: 25515741.
- Kumar, Prashanth&Parasuramalu, Bangalore &Huliraj, N &Gangaboraiah, & N R, Ramesh &Babu, C. (2017). Assessing the Burden of Bronchial Asthma in Rural Adult Population of Bangalore. Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development. 8. 59. 10.5958/0976-5506.2017.00083.3.
- Pulmonary Nocardiosis: Report of two cases from a tertiary care hospital - ArchanaBaburao, Sruthi Prasad, S. Prakash, HulirajNarayanswamy - The Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology. Vol 62/ Issue 1/ Jan-March 2019.
- Archana, B., Singh, A., Huliraj, N., &Gopi, A. (2020). Role of bronchoalveolar lavage cartridge-based nuclear acid amplification test in the diagnosis of sputum smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis. The Egyptian Journal of Chest Diseases and Tuberculosis, 69(1), 1.
- Dr Amulya C, Dr Huliraj N ,A study on Prevalence of Anaemia in sputum positive pulmonary Tuberculosis patients . International Journal of Sceintific Research, volume-9,Issue-7, July 2020
- Cardiac Troponin in risk stratification of Pulmonary Embolism Huliraj N , Dr Thirthashree , Volume 9, Issue 7, July 2020
Dr Raghavendra M K
- Raghavendra Mk, Ravikumar P, Priyadarshini Bai G, Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in COPD and its association with severity of disease. IP Indian J ImmunolRespir Med 2017;2(3):69-72
- Ravikumar, P., Raghavendra, M. K., & Bai, G. P. (2018). Evaluation of inhalational techniques of pressurized metered-dose inhaler with spacer in asthma patients. Lung India: Official Organ of Indian Chest Society, 35(3), 279.
Dr Deepak Kumar R
- Dr Deepak Kumar R , Dr C P Rauf,Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis in a mother and son due to domestic mould , , Pulmon, Vol: 12; No. 2 ; September – December 2010.
- Rauf, C.P., Sangeetha, E.,Deepak Kumar, R., Krishnan, D. and Majid, M. 2012. Extralobar and Intralobar Pulmonary Sequestrations - Report of 4 Cases. IMA Kerala Medical Journal. 5, 1 (Mar. 2012), 18-21. DOI:https://doi.org/10.52314/kmj.2012.v5i1.251.
- To evaluate the role of Radiological and histopathological examination in diagnosis of Interstitial Lung Disease , International journal of Scientific research : Volume 8 |issue -12| December 2019.
- Dr Deepak Kumar R , Dr Amulya C , Dr Thirthashree K,Prevalence of thrombocytosis in pulmonary tuberculosis , International journal of Scientific research : Volume 9 | Issue 10 |October -2020.
- Dr Deepak Kumar R, Dr Thirthashree K ,Dr Amulya C ,Role of elevated CK-MB in Pulmonary Embolism , International Journal of Scientific research :Volume 9| Issue10 |October 2020.