The Department of Microbiology is situated in Banashankari campus of Kempegowda Institute of Medical college. It is actively involved in academics, diagnostics and research activities. The Diagnostic laboratory is located at KIMSH & RC as the part of the clinical laboratory. The Department is proud of nurtured , skilled and dedicated work force offering routine, specialized and advanced diagnostic services. Qualified and experienced team of six faculty members drive the medical education programmes imparting knowledge to undergraduate and postgraduate students. The department is well equipped with instruments like BACTEC BD 9050, Biosafety cabinets , Deep freezers(-80) & (-20), Lyophilizer(Delvec), Carbondioxide incubators, Cobas 6000 The department has five MD seats per year and is privileged to be recognized as PhD centre by RGUHS, Bangalore. As a part of the curriculum the department conducts regular tutorials for the UG students to make them gain confidence to face the university exams . Active PG teaching in the department includes regular subject seminar, Journal club and culture skills along with hands on training. The department has more than 24 publications in National & International indexed journals to its credit. We are also involved in research programmes with grants being approved by national and international agencies and with special focus in the area of Tuberculosis, HIV, Pneumococcal diseases, Dengue, Malaria and Molecular biology. The faculty members are resourse persons for national and International organizations like KSAPS, NACO, KHPT etc. These research activities help to serve the needy and contribute to competencies of staff in academic and diagnostics.
|1||Dr. Anjana Gopi||Prof & HOD||
|2||Dr. Rashmi K S||Professor||
|3||Dr .Giridhara Upadhyaya P M||Professor||
|4||Dr. Supriya Christopher||Professor||
|5||Dr. Madhulatha C K||Assistant Professor||
Dr Anjana Gopi
- AnjanaGopi, K.L. Ravikumar, M.G. Ambarish, N.N. Shwethalatha, S. Keerthi Shree, K.V. Ashwini, S. Arpitha, C. Debjani. Time to positivity of Micro organism with bactec 9050: An 18 – month study among children of 28 days to 60 months in a south Indian tertiary Hospital. International journal of Microbiological Research 2011; 2(1): 12-17.
- AnjanaGopi, Rashmi M, Shaik Mohammed Usman, Rashmi KS, Divya H, Neetha SM, Hitha TK Misbah-ul-khair S . Pyogenic liver abscess : fresh look at its continuing changing patterns . International Journal of Medical & applied Science 2013; 2(4): 271-278.
- Sharath Kumar B C, AnjanaGopi,DivyaHarindranath. Isolation and speciation of Malassezia in patients clinically suspected of PityriasisVersicolor at a tertiary care hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka. Int journal of scientific study Sep 2015; 3(6).
- AnjanaGopi, Hitha T K, SyedaMisbahUlKhair. Evaluation of Bactec Micro MGIT system for isolation of Mycobacteria in a tertiary care setting. Int journal of Current Research May 2016; 8(05): 30805-30808.
- AnjanaGopi,FaizaSamreen, Swati Jain, Madhulatha C. K.. Filling the Void in the Web Space”- Microbiological Perspective of Toe Web Space Infections in a Tertiary Care Hospital . International Journal of Innovative Research in Medical Science(IJIRMS) September 2017; 2(9): 1319-1324.
- AnjanaGopi,SyedaMisbahUlKhairHitha T K. A study of coagulase negative staphylococci associated blood stream infections in pediatric patients in a tertiary care hospital. Int journal of Current Research May 2016; 8(05): 30766-769.
- Bhagyashree, AnjanaGopi, Swathi, FiazaSamreen, MadhulathaC.K .Bacteriological and Mycological Profile of Urinary Tract Infections among Diabetic Patients at a Tertiary Care Centre. International Journal of Innovative research in Medical ScienceApril 2018; 3(4): 1946 to 50.
- Tupaki-Sreepurna, A.; Jishnu, B.T.; Thanneru, V.; Sharma, S.; Gopi, A.; Sundaram, M.; JyotiKindo, A.An Assessment of In Vitro Antifungal Activities of Efinaconazole and Itraconazole against Common Non-Dermatophyte Fungi Causing Onychomycosis. J. Fungi 2017, 3, 20.
- Bacterial infections among Diabetic Patient at a territory care centre. – Dr.Bhagyashree, Dr>AnjanaGopi,Dr.Swathi, Dr.FiazaSamreenDr.Madhulatha C.K . In Internatinal, Journal of Innovative research in medical sciences. Vol 03, issue,04 April 2018 ISSN No 2455 – 8737.
- Subcutaneous dirofilariasis of the cheek with microfilaremia - Annuals of Tropical Medicine and Public Health – Volume 11, Issue 3, May-June 2018. Page No 94 – 99.NeethaS.Murthy, Dr.AnjanaGopi, PracheeBeleKenge.
- “A study to assess the prevalence of atypical organisms in pneumonia in children aged 1 month to 3 years by serum polymerase chine reaction” in KIMS Hospital, Bangalore, India. H.S. Ramya1, AnjanaGopi2 ,Vivetha Elango1*International journal of contemprorypediatricsVolume 7, Issue 5, Page 1077 – 1080. May – 2020.
- “A study to assess the magnitude of atypical pneumonia by serum polymerase chain reaction in children aged 3 years to 18 years at Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India” H.S. Ramya1, Anjana Gopi2,Vivetha Elango1*, Mansi Kumar2.International journal of contemprory pediatrics Volume 7,Issue 6,Page 1243–1248.June – 2020.
- “Clinical spectrum of pneumonia in children aged 1 month to 18 years by serum polymerase chain reaction, in a tertiary care center in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India” H.S. Ramya1, Anjana Gopi2,Vivetha Elango1* , DonaJoseph1International journal of contemprorypediatrics Volume 7, Issue 6, Page 1384 – 1388. June – 2020.
- Sridhar A, GopiA,DalalA,Ravi D. Comparative study of different methods of microscopy followed by a culture method in the detection of mycobacterium tuberculosis in clinically and radiologicallysuspected cases of pulmonary tuberculosis. IP Int J Med Microbiol Trop Dis 2021:7(2):1-8.
- M. Anjana, H. Srinivasa, P. Mahalakshmi, V. Savitha, Ravi Kottoor and R.S. MacadenComparison of staining methods of impression smears of antral biopsies for the rapid diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori. IJJM 1998; 16(4): 181-182.
- RashmiMunivenkataswamy, AnjanaGopi,ShaikMohammedUsman, Jagadeesh . Human Immunodefeciency Virus Associated Cryptococcal Meningitis At A Tertiary Care Centre: Diagnostic Tools And Antifungal Susceptibility Testing . Journal of clinical &Diagnosticresearch 2013 Aug; 7(8):1623-25.
- AnjanaGopi, Neetha S. Murthy. Presumptive identification of Candida species by using chromogenic agar in comparison with yeast identification protocols in a tertiary care hospital. Journal of evidence based Medicine and Healthcare 2014 December 01; 1(13): 1604 - 1613.
- SamreenF, Gopi A.Comparision of Phenotypic and molecular profile of Coagulase negative Staphylococci from clinical isolates and commensals along with biofilm detection. Indian Journal of Microbiology Research June 2017; 4(2): 194-198.
- AnjanaGopi, Jagadeesh, Ravi Kumar.K. L, Rashmi. M, Ashwini, ShwethalathaShenoy Rapid diagnosis of pneumococcal meningitis and pneumonia with strep pneumonia effusion using a Novel streptococcus pneumoniae immune chromatographic assay.. JEMDS 2013; 2(18):
- AnjanaGopi, ArunKaushik, DivyaHarindranath..Evaluation of time to positivity in detection of microorganism using BACTEC 9050 in a tertiary care hospital over a period of one year. JEMDS 2014 Nov 24th; 3(64): 13999-14005.
- AnjanaGopi,DivyaHarindranath, ArunKaushik. Mycological profile of dermatophytes isolated from clinical samples in KIMS hospital Bangalore. Journal of Evolution of Medical and dental sciences 2015 Jan 15th; 4(5): 835 - 842.
- AnjanaGopi, Neetha S. Murthy, Vinoba S. Mycological study of TineaCapitis in a tertiary care hospital2. JEMDS 2015 Dec; 4(98): 16295-16298.
- AnjanaGopi, SyedaMisbahUlKhair, HithaThalakkaleKottileveetil .A clinico-microbiological study of osteomyelitis in a tertiary care hospital in Karnataka. JEMDS Jan 2016; 5(01): 15 - 18.
- AnjanaGopi, Vinoba S, Neetha S. Murthy. Fournier’s gangrene – A microbiological overview. JEMDS Jan 2016; 5(1): 41 - 45.
- Gopi A, Kottilaveetil HT, Khair SMU et al. Bacteriological profile of chronic suppurative otitis media cases at a tertiary care centre in Karnataka.. J. Evolution Med. Dent. Sci 2016; 5(14): 623-626.
- Swati Jain , AnjanaGopi, FaizaSamreen, Madhulatha C.K. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, Extended Spectrum Betalactamase And Metallobetalactamase Production Among Organisms Causing Surgical Site Infections At A Tertiary Care Hospital In Bangalore . Journal Of Evolution Of Medical & Dental Sciences September 07, 2017; 6(72)
- GopiA, Samreen F, Jain S.. Diabetic foot ulcers at a tertiary care hospital: A clinic-microbiological profile. Indian J Microbiol Res2017; 4(4): 403-407.
- Swati Jain, AnjanaGopi .Spectrum of fungi causing onychomycosis in a tertiary care hospital in Bangalore. Indian Journal of Microbiology Research April-June 2017; 4(2): 207-209.
- AnjanaGopi,FaizaSamreen,Madhulatha.C.K. . A Comparative studay between microscopy and culture in detection of M.tb among smear negative pulmonary and extra pulmonary tuberculosis. IJMR 2018; 5(3): 313-317.
- GautamT,Gopi A. Pseudomonas- an emerging nosocomial pathogen. J. Evolution Med. Dent. Sci. 2019; 8(01): 5-9.
- Nandan T. M, Jagadeesh, Anjana. G. . 3. Pneumococcal carriage rating children & their anti microbial susceptibility patterns in an urban set up JEMDS 2013 March 25th; 12(12): 1944-1957.
- Jagadevi, Jagadeesh, AnjanaGopi. Diagnostic utility of Latex agglutination test and antibiogram of isolates causing Acute Bacterial meningitis in pediatric age group . RJPBCS 2014; 5(1): 1005-1013.
- Sharath Kumar BC, SreedeviChandrika M, Gopal MG, Ramesh M, AnjanaGopi, Anil Kumar Shukla. . A case report of ActinomycoticMycetoma with Osteomyelitis of right foot treated with welsh regimen. JEMDS Oct 14, 2013; 2(4): 7968-7971.
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, Extended Spectrum Betalactamase And Metallobetalactamase Production Among Organisms Causing Surgical Site Infections At A Tertiary Care Hospital In Bangalore - Journal Of Evolution Of Medical & Dental Sciences , Vol. 6 / Issue 72/ September 07, 2017- Swati Jain , AnjanaGopi, FaizaSamreen, Madhulatha C.K
- Spectrum of fungi causing onychomycosis in a tertiary care hospital in Bangalore-Indian Journal of Microbiology Research Volume4, issue 2, Pg-207-209, April – June 2017- Dr. Swati Jain, Dr. AnjanaGopi .
- A Comparative study between microscopy and culture in detection of M.tb among smear negative pulmonary and extra pulmonary tuberculosis AnjanaGopi,FaizaSamreen,.Madhulatha.C.K. IJMR 2018 ;5(3):313-317.
- Pseudomonas – an Emerging Nosocomial Pathogen.Gautam T, G, Dr.AnjanaGopi, in Evolution M.ed . Dent Sciences vol 8/ Issue 01/ January 7th 2019,ISSN – 2278 -4748.
- Comparative Study of WIDAL test and IgM ELISA in Diagnosis of Typhoid Fever.SupriyaChristopher ,AnjanaGopi , AkshathaNingaraj . J Evolution Med Dent Sci /eISSn -2278-4748/vol9/issue49/Dec 2020.
- Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern of Urinary Pathogens in a teriary care Hospital .AkshathaNingaraj, AnjanaGopi ,Supriya Christopher. J Evolution Med Dent Sci /eISSn --2278-4748/vol9/issue11/Mar 2021.
Dr Rashmi K S
- Intestinal cryptosporidiosis and the profile of the CD4 counts in a cohort of HIV infected patients. Rashmi K.S, K.L Ravikumar, Journal of clinical and Diagnostic research 2013 Vol-7(6):1016-1020.
- Profile of Hepatitis B ‘e’ Antigen and Antibodies to Hepatitis B ‘e’ Antigen in Hepatitis B Seropositive patients at a Tertiary care hospital in Bengaluru, India, Rashmi K.S, SyedaMisbah-ul-Khair, K.L Ravikumar. International Journal of Scientific study/October 2015/ Vol 3/ issue 7, Page No: 53-57
- A study evidenced by Weil-Felix test in a Tertiary care hospital, Rashmi K.S, Neetha S Murthy, K.L Ravikumar. International Journal of scientific study/November 2015/Vol 3 / Issue 8, page no : 128-131
- An insight into the virulence factors and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern.ArpitaNeogiKundu, Rashmi K.SAnjanaGopi- International journal of Medical Microbiology and Tropical Diseases, Sept 2017 Volume 4, Issue 3.
- Asymptomatic bacteriuria in HIV/AIDS patients: Occurrence and risk associated with low CD4 counts. Rashmi K.S, K.L Ravikumar, Jagadeesh , Nimitha, Bhagyashree H.N. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences/ Volume 2/ Issue 19/ May 13,2013 pg-3358
- Serological markers prevalence and trend of Probable dengue infection at atertiary care hospital in Bangalore Rashmi K.S, Jagadeesh, K.L Ravikumar, PratibhaMalini .J, GiridharaUpadhyayaP.M ,Arun. - Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences/ Volume 2/ Issue 36/September 9,2013 pg-6968
- Seroprevalence of HCV infection among patients in a tertiary care hospital in Bangalore.Rashmi K.S,FaizaSamreen, Anjanagopi, Swati Jain, Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences/ Volume 6/Issue31/April 17,2017.
- Detection of metallobetalactamase producing imipenem resistant acinetobacter species in intensive care unit patients in a tertiary care centre, Vinoba S, Rashmi.K.S., Indian journal of Microbiology Research, January-March, 2018;5(1):132-137
Dr Giridhara Upadhyaya
- GiridharaUpadhyayaP.M , B.L Umapathy.: A comparative study among clinical and commensal isolates of Enterococcus faecalis for presence of esp gene and production of biofilm as a potential for causing nosocomial infections. International Journal for infectious diseases in developing countries May 2011 volume (5)365-369
- Magnitude and Pattern of Hepatitis B Carriers in the General Population at a Tertiary Care Hospital in Bangalore. EPH - International Journal of Medical and Health Science (ISSN: 2456 - 6063): Vol. 3 No. 12 (2017)Dr. GiridharaUpadhyaya , Dr. Supriya Christopher
- GiridharaUpadhyayaP.M , B.L Umapathy. Review of virulence factors of Enterococcus: An emerging nosocomial pathogen. Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology October 2009,27(4)301- 305 issue.
- GiridharaUpadhyayaP.M , B.L Umapathy. Comparative study for the presence of enterococcal virulence factors gelatinase, hemolysin and biofilm among clinical and commensal isolates of Enterococcus faecalis. Journal of Laboratory physicians October 2010 issue2/ volume 2.
- SupriyaChristopher ,GiridharaUpadhyaya P.M. Comparative evaluation of standard tube test with enzyme linked immunosorbant assay and indirect fluorescent assay using Brucella abortus S 99 sonicated and heat extracted antigen. Indian J Microbiol Res 2014;1(1):77-83.
- Prevalence of Hepatitis band carrier rate in general population ATE tertiary care hospital, with manuscript number IJLP_17_24- Dr. Supriya Christopher, Dr. GiridharaUpadhyaya. J.Evolution Med. Dent. Sci./eISSN – 2278-4802,Pissn-2278- 4748/vol.7/Issue 03/ Jan 15, – 2018.page6808.
- Rashmi K.S, Jagadeesh, K.L Ravikumar, PratibhaMalini .J, GiridharaUpadhyayaP.M ,Arun. Serological markers prevalence and trend of Probable dengue infection at a tertiary care hospital in Bangalore- Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences/ Volume 2/ Issue 36/ September 9,2013 pg-6968
- Bacterial aetiology of pani sold with popular street food chaatin Bengaluru. Vikyath Satish,GiridharaUpadhyaya P.M2 and MS. Kalpashree. J ClinMicrobiolBiocheTechnol 7(1):020-024, 12tt March 2021.
Dr Supriya Christopher
- Supriya ChristopherPathogenic and analyzes, characteristic, current diagnostic methods for Brucellosis In International journal in Spanish:Health SIIC ISSN 1667-9008 (SociedadIberoamericana de InformaciónCientífica), October27 ,2011.
- Supriya Christopher, P. M. GiridharaUpadhyaya. Magnitude and pattern of Hepatitis B carriers in the General population at a tertiary care hospital.International journal of medical and health sciences vol 3 issue 12/December 2017
- Supriya Christopher,B LUmapathy, K L RavikumarBrucellosis: Review on recent trends in pathogenicity and Laboratory diagnosis. Journal of laboratory physicians.,Jul- Dec 2010 Vol2 Issue 2 pg 55-60.
- Supriya Christopher, B.L. Umapathy, K.L. Ravikumar , Evaluation of Sonicated and Heat Extracted Lipopolysaccharide Brucella abortus Antigens by an In House Enzyme Linked Immunosorbant Assay. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2012 June, Vol-6(5): 801-804
- Supriya Christopher ,Umapathy B L , Ravikumar K L. Evaluation Of Sonicated And Heat Extracted Lipoplysaccharide Brucella abortus Antigen By Indirect Haemagglutination and Enzyme Linked Immunosorbant Assays. National Journal of basic Medical Science April- June 2012 Vol2 Issue 4 325-328.
- DrGiridharaUpadhyaya P M, DrSupriya Christopher, MsRamyaJayasimhaComparative evaluation of standard tube test with Enzymelinkedimmunosorbant assay and indirect fluorescent assay using Brucella abortus S 99 sonicated and heat extracted antigen. Indian journal of Microbiological research 2014;1(1):77-83
- Supriya Christopher, P. M. GiridharaUpadhyaya ,Prevalence of Hepatitis B and carrier rate in general population at a tertiary care hospital. J Evolution Med Dent Sci /eISSn 2015:7(3)2278-4748
- Supriya Christopher, AnjanaGopi, AkshathaNingaraju,Comparative Study of Widal Test and IgM ELISA in Diagnosis of Typhoid Fever. J Evolution Med Dent Sci / eISSN - 2278- 4802, pISSN - 2278-4748 / Vol. 9 / Issue 49 / Dec. 07, 2021.
- Supriya Christopher, AnjanaGopi, AkshathaNingaraju .Comparative Study of Widal Test and IgM ELISA in Diagnosis of Typhoid Fever. J Evolution Med Dent Sci / eISSN - 2278- 4802, pISSN - 2278-4748 / Vol. 9 / Issue 49 / Dec. 07, 2021.
- Akshatha N, AnjanaGopi, Supriya Christopher, Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern of Urinary Pathogens in a Tertiary Care Hospital ,J Evolution Med Dent Sci/eISSN - 2278-4802, pISSN - 2278-4748 / Vol. 10 / Issue 10 / Mar. 08, 2021
Dr Madhulatha C K
- Madhulatha C.K, PratibhaMalini. J, K.L Ravikumar Rashmi K.S. Bacteriological profile and Antibiotic sensitivity pattern of microorganisms from community acquired Pneumonia. Research journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences/ Volume 4/ Issue-3/ July- Sep 2013:1005-11.
- AnjanaGopi, FaizaSamreen, Madhulatha.C.K. A Comparative study between microscopy and culture in detection of M.tb among smear negative pulmonary and extra pulmonary tuberculosis IJMR 2018 ;5(3):313-317
- Bhaskar M.S., CK M., N H. Hand microbiome And Resistant Strains from CellPhones Of Health Personnel. Innovative Journal of Medical and Health Science.2020; 1415- 1420.https://doi.org/10.15520/ijmhs.v10i12.3156
Dr Akshatha N
- Rao S, Mayakonda L, Ningaraju A, Madhavi B Hiremath M, et al. (2017) ArcanobacteriumHemolyticum: An Usual Fatal Case. J BacteriolMycol Open Access 4(3): 00096. DOI: 10.15406/jbmoa.2017.04.00096
- Christopher S, Gopi A, Ningaraju A. (Corresponding Author) Comparative study of widal test and IgM ELISA in the diagnosis of typhoid fever. J Evolution Med Dent Sci 2020;9(49):3743-3747, DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2020/822
- Akshatha N,Gopi A, Christopher S, et al. Antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of urinary pathogens in a tertiary care hospital. J Evolution Med Dent Sci 2021;10(12):878-882, DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2021/189
Dr Harshitha N
- Bhaskar M.S., CK M., N H. Hand microbiome And Resistant Strains from Cell Phones Of Health Personnel. Innovative Journal of Medical and Health Science.2020; 1415- 1420. https://doi.org/10.15520/ijmhs.v10i12.3156