Department of Biochemistry
Biochemistry department has full fledge staff including nine teaching staff and twenty one nonteaching staff both in college and hospital campus. The department has spacious undergraduate laboratory, well equipped post graduate laboratory, departmental library, seminar hall, demonstration halls and staff rooms as per MCI standards for 150 MBBS admissions. Clinical Biochemistry, a part of central laboratory is situated in KIMS hospital complex. The clinical laboratory is well equipped with the state of the art auto-analyzers, electrolyte analyzers and ABG analyzers for performing all the routine Biochemistry, endocrinology immunology and emergency investigations. The staff consists of 1 Professor and HOD, 6 Associate Professors, 2 Assistant Professors and 6 PG cum tutors in the department. Teachers have undergone training in Medical Education Technology (MET) under MCI. The department has Post Graduate (MD) seats since 1999 which is MCI recognized, with an intake of 2 students per year and so far 22 students have successfully completed the course. The department also has RGUHS affiliated PhD programmes and so far 3 students have successfully completed their PhD. The department conducts regular tutorials, tests, seminars, CME programmes as stipulated by RGUHS and fulfilling MCI norms. There are total of 15 publications in the last three years. Research activities are going on in the field of PCOS, obesity, cataractogenesis and depression cases.
College (BSK campus):
- Postgraduate / research laboratory for MD, MDS and PhD courses.
- Undergraduate laboratory for MBBS, BDS, BPT, BSc (Nursing) and Pc BSc (Nursing) courses.
- Two full fledge demonstration rooms.
- Seminar hall.
- Departmental library.
Hospital (Clinical laboratory):
- Fully automated modular autoanalyzers with dedicated RO plant.
- ECLIA for Hormonal investigations.
- ABG analyzers for arterial blood gas analysis.
- Electrolyte analyzers.
|1||Dr. Ravi B V||Prof & HOD||
|2||Dr. Anasuya M R||Professor||
|3||Dr. Anil Kumar A S||Professor||
|5||Dr. Vidyasagar G.V||Associate Professor||
|6||Dr. Rajkumar B.N||Assistant Professor||
|7||Ms. Prakruthi G M||Tutor||
Research activities like NGAL and BNP in heart failure patients in collaboration with SJIC, Bangalore. And
Thrombolytic activity in medicinal plants in collaboration with Jain University, Bangalore.
Regular on-going projects like thesis and dissertation works under the guidance of designated guides.
UG students are being guided for ICMR projects.
Guidance for project works being done by PG students from other clinical departments like MD and MDS students.
Biotechnology students utilizing our laboratory facilities for project works.
Regular CME programme are being conducted.
Regular teaching programme being conducted as per RGUHS and MCI recommendations.
- Professor has authored a book on “BASICS IN BIOCHEMISTRY FOR NURSING STUDENTS”.
Dr. Ravi B.V
- Dr. Shipashree M.K., Dr. Ravi B.V. Serum Lipoprotein (a) and Lipid profile in hypothyroidism. Journal of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences. 2014: Vol 4: Issue 1 P 235-239.
- Dr. Debojyothi Bhattacharjee, Dr.Kheya Mukherjee, Dr.B.V.Ravi. Study of Serum Sialic acid and Copper as inflammatory markers in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.: Indian Medical Journal: Jan 2014: Vol 108, 1: 45-48.
- Dr. Sadaria Roshni Gokaldas, B.V.Ravi, D.R. Savithri.A study on assessment of serum Leptin and serum Insulin in women with polycystic ovariansyndrome.. International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research. (2014) 05 (10): 462-465.
- B.V.Ravi, SadariaRoshniGokuldas and D.R. Savithri.Assessment of prolactin and insulin resistance in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research. (2014) 05 (11): 556-558.
- B.V.Ravi, SadariaRoshniGokuldas and D.R. Savithri.Assessment of Leptin and Testosterone in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome.. Journal of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences 2014; 4(3):316-320.
- Ravi B.V.,Roshni G Sadaria, Savithri D.R. Assessment of Leptin and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone In Women With Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome International Journal of Applied Biotechnology and Biochemistry.2014 Volume 4, Number 2 pp. 139-145.
- B.V. Ravi, S.M.R. Usha.Serum magnesium levels in patients with hypertension. Journal of Clinical and Scientific Research.2014; 4:282-285.
- R. Swetha, B.V. Ravi, K.S. Nalini. Serum Lipoprotein (a) and Lipid profile in polycystic ovarian syndrome. Journal of Clinical and Scientific Research. 2015; 4:2-6.
- B.V. Ravi, SadariaRoshni Gokaldas. A Study on Assessment of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and Insulin Resistance in Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.International Journal of Science and Research. Volume 4 Issue 7, July 2015:1683-1686.
- NarendranathAlluri, Ravi B.V., HarshaKumari, Latha P, Mala Majumdar.Evaluation of in vitro antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and thrombolytic activities of scillahyacinthina, an endangered medicinal plant.International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Vol 7, Supple 1, 2015: 84-88.
- Appaji Mahesh Ashwini, LathaPuttarudrappa, BalagumbaVijaykumar Ravi and Mala Majumdar.GC-MS analysis, evaluation of phytochemicals, anti-oxidant, thrombolytic and anti-inflammatory activities of Exacumbicolor.Bangladesh Journal Pharmacol.2015; 10:745-752.
Dr. Anusuya M R
- Dr.Anusuya M.R. Associate professor et al. Analysis and detection of effect of lead and alcohol on vitamin C of brain tissue of rats. World journal of pharmaceutical research. 2012:Vol 1, issue 5, 1387-1394.
- Dr.Anusuya M.R. Associate professor et al. Evaluation of effects of different concentrations of lead, alcohol and vitamin E on protein carbonyl content of brain tissue in rats.Journal of applied pharmaceutical science. 02(04): 2012: 70-73.
- Dr.Anusuya M.R. Associate professor et al. Assessment of lead, alcohol and vitamin E on glutathione content of brain tissue of rats treated for four and eight weeks. Journal of pharmacy research. 2012, 5(6),3379-3381.
- Dr.Anusuya M.R. Associate professor et al. Lead, alcohol and vitamin E on catalase activity in brain tissue of rats. International journal on pharmaceutical and phytopharmacological research. 2012:1(5):297-300.
- Dr.Anusuya M.R. Associate professor et al Evaluation of effects of lead, alcohol and vitamin E on lipid peroxidation on brain issue..International journal of life science and pharma research. Vol 2/ issue 2/Apr –june 2012:37- 41
- Anusuya MR, Harishekar MB Aroor AR. Evaluation and estimation of toxicity of alcohol and lead on protein content of brain tissue of rats in the presence and absence of vitamin E. Journal of Pharmacy and Phytotherapeutics. 2013; 1:6, 14-17.
- NS Sumantara and Dr.Anusuya M.R. Elevation of Serum Cystatin C Levels as a Predictor of Cardiovascular Risk in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients.Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2021 Jun, Vol-15(6): BC22-BC25.
- Harishekar M B, M R Anusuya, A R Aroor. Estimation of effect of Lead, Alcohol and Vitamin E on Aspartate Amino Transferase and Alanine Amino Transferase of liver tissue in rats Journal of pharmaceutical research & Clinical Practice. 2014; 4(1):19-23.
Dr. Anil Kumar A S
- Dr. Ummed Singh Solanki, Dr. Anil Kumar A.S. Serum Lipoprotein (a) and Lipid profile in hypLipoprotein (a) in Essential Hypertension Patients. Associate professor.Indian Medical Gazette. August 2013. P 292-295.
- Dr. Anil Kumar A.S. Dr. Lakshmi Shantharam, Dr.Swathi RK. A study on Sensori-Neural Hearing loss in patients of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.Dr. Anil H.T., IJSR: Vol 3/ Issue 5:485-487; May 2014.
- Dr.K.P.Latha, Dr. Anil Kumar A.S. Serum lipids and lipoprotein (A) levels in psoriasisInternational journal of Scientific Research:Vol 3(Issue9)Sept 2014:283-285.
- BhuyarBhagyashree, Anil Kumar A.S., MdShamshuddin. Study of serum ascorbic acid level in pre ecclampsia. Unique Journal of Medical and Dental Sciences, 2014, 02(04): P 09-14.
- Ashwin Kumar AS, Anil Kumar AS.Serum cystatin C and serum creatinine levels in type 2 diabetes mellitus. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2015; 3(1):174-177.
- Anil Kumar A.S., Ashwin Kumar A.S., Comparison of various formulas used to calculate eGFR in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research. Vol 5; issue: 9; Sept 2015, P 283-289.
- Anilkumar.A.S, RajshreeBadami, Sowmyakrishna, A study on Serum levels of malondialdehyde ascorbic acid and α-tocopherol in recurrent apthous stomatitis. International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research, January-March, 2018:5(1):116-119.
- Anilkumar A.S, Sowmya Krishna. Assessment of Serum level of ascorbic acid, malondialdehyde as oxidative stress marker in patients with oral lichenplanus.GeethaKhimavath, International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research. 2020.7(4):437-440.
- VandanaDubeyTripathi, Sushama R Galgali, Anil kumar et al. Estimation of fibrinogen and ESR – hemostatic markers in patients with mild, moderate and severe periodontitis. Indian Journal of Dental Sciences; March 2014; 6(1); 32-36.
- Sharon MP, Srikanth S, Anil Kumar AS. Comparison of salivary and blood glucose in type 2 Diabetes and healthy adults in fasting and post prandial states. International Journal of current research. August 2015; Vol 7 (08); 19288-19293.
- Vinaya R Pawar, Sowmya Krishna, Anilkumar A.S. Estimation of Vitamin D Serum level in Patients with oral lichenplanus a case control study. et al journal of Indian Academy of oral Medicine and Radiology. July 2021
Dr. Harishekar M B
- Harishekar MB, MR Anusuya, AR Aroor.Estimation of Effect of lead, alcohol and vitamin E on aspartate amino transferase and alanine amino transferase of liver tissue in rats. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research & Clinical Practice 2014;4(1):19-23
- Dr.Harishekar M.B. Assessment of vitamin C content in lead, alcohol and vitamin E treated liver tissue of rats.International journal on pharmaceutical and biomedical research. Vol 2(6), 2011.
- Dr.Harishekar M.B. Studies on lipid peroxidation induced by lead, alcohol on liver and amelioration by vitamin E. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, vol 4, Suppl 2, 2011, 164-167.
- Dr.Harishekar M.B. In vitro evaluation of effect of lead, alcohol and vitamin E on glutathione content of liver tissue in rats.Journal of pharmacy research Vol 5, issue 1, Jan 2012
- Dr.Harishekar M.B. Analysis of toxicity of lead, alcohol and vitamin E on catalase activity of liver tissue in rats.World journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical sciences. 2012: Vol 1 (2); 668-673.
Dr. VidyaSagar G V
- Prasanna Kumar K M, Asha Latha, VidyaSagar, Jaya Patil. Clinical trial of Glycem – a herbomineral preparation in type 2 diabetic Indian patients.The Antiseptic; April 2003; Vol 100 (4); P144-146.
- Vijaykumar C Reddy, G V VidyaSagar, D Sreeramulu, L Venu, M Raghunath. Addition of milk does not alter the antioxidant activity of black tea. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism: July 2005;49: 189-195.
- VidyaSagar G V, Sunitha S, Ravi B V, Nisarga R. Serum Uric acid in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus..International Journal of Current Research. 2018; 10 (02); 65330-65334.